Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bring Out Yer Lead!

It seems that metal GW models are going the way of the Dodo bird. While this is a good thing for tabletop gamers who have a shit of a time with metal getting chipped, it's an even greater time for the bargain conscious gamer.

I'll be picking up a squad of old Havocs from the local Reseller for half price. Yep, HALF PRICE! I could've gotten Abbadon, but my Son chose to not tell me of these savings in time, and I missed the veritable boat. While most people generally scorn Havocs, I can see some genuine uses for these little blokes. Make up a 10 man squad (they are the same price as normal CSM's) with a Lascannon, Autocannon and Missile Launcher. Then add yet another of the former 3 options, and you have 4 heavy weapons at your disposal each turn with a 48" range. Also with 10 men, they can take a lot of damage before you start losing the important members.

Another advantage of owning a Havoc Squad is inter-changeability between them and normal CSM squads. You can add CSM's to Havocs, and vice versa. Ever wanted to have a Lascannon in your stationary CSM squad? You had to either buy a Havoc guy with Lascannon or try and hunt one down on Ebay. Quite a challenge indeed.

One thing I am not too happy about is the Obliterator's not on the Finecast rollout. While I have stated in a previous post that I will avoid GW models. If I could replace the Obliterator's with resin I would be a very happy chappy. If you've never had the hair pulling and anger inducing joy of dealing with Obliterator's, then you are missing out on a treat! You need the never ending patience of a Swami Guru to put them together, then in your first game it's guaranteed weapons will fall off and get lost, and of course they will get chipped over, and over again, and before you know it your hard work looks as bad as the little Matchbox cars you had as a kid.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah it is a great time to fill your pockets with metal minis. Nice and cheap, just the way I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I got the Havocs for $30. I was going to grab an Ork Big Mek, but when I found out it was going to cost $30 at half price, I was like stuff that!

    ReplyDelete