Monday, June 10, 2013

How the Hell do I paint that!

The one thing that I've noticed with model painting as of late is fiddly bits. I'm usually of the view that you build the model then paint it it after assembling. It seems like most people on the video's do it that way. But I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe not such a bad idea to partially build bits, paint them, then finish assembling?





My Forgefiend's legs have been a real issue for the nefarious fiddly bits. It's felling like the Kama-Sutra of painting, due to having to use Yoga level finger and wrist movements! As for the model it's coming along pretty well. So far it's just involved Gold, followed with some Gold, and rounding of with yet more Gold... Then washing down with Devlan Mud. While I constantly complain about GW's products, Devlan Mud is great! Now for the whinge! I've heard they've got rid of Devlan Mud for some inferior garbage called Agrax Eartshade. Why on earth they would choose to get rid of it, I don't know? But when it comes to Games Workshop the whole company seems to work on the "I Don't Know" logic. Ahh well, hopefully Vallejo's range of Shades might fill the gap.


The camera is doing not so bad. Though I'm having problems getting to to focus on the whole model rather than specific parts. Unlike the crappy camera phone (it's not so bad, the brushes were taken on it), it doesn't like macro. Though at a resolution of 3008x2000 you don't really need to get close.








I've talked about this before, but I though I'll mention it again. Brushes. Nothing helps with painting that a good brush! I first started by buying these cheapie things from the local hobby shop for $1.00 each when i first started painting. The were usually made of Taklon and honestly are pure crap! After 2 hours of use these things would end up being on a sideways angle and spreading out. Which is useless for high detail areas. While Taklon may great for doing make-up, dry brushing and large area's. they are not so great for fiddly work. My advice is use to buy Kolinsky brushes.


Your probably wondering what this cool little creature is doing on a model page, well I will explain. This cute little darling is a Kolinsky, a Siberian Weasel. The males tale hairs, make some of the best damn brushes you can possibly buy! While I really disagree with the idea of something dying to make a brush, this are damn fine brushes, and if you look after them (don't use them to apply glue or dry brushing of course) than can last you for years and years!

While most people believe Windsor & Newton Number 7 is deemed as the ducks nuts of brushes. I've never used a W&N brush, but here they here I'll need to make out another morgate on the house to buy one! I have some slightly cheaper alternatives though.

Escoda Kolinsky Tamjir. This are probably my favourite brush at the moment. It was also nicely priced at around $15 for the 001 that I bought.

Privateer Press Fine Hobby Brush. As far as brushes go, this was CHEAP (under $10). It's only a small brush which is good for small areas, not so great for large areas though.





The top brush and the bottom are Escoda. These are my most used brushes and they still look really good! The one in the middle is the P3 brush. Yet again has got quite a lot of use, and still looks fantastic!

1 comment:


  1. imo
    imo downloading
    imo download
    imo app
    imo apk
    From there, you can take and upload photos or videos to create evolving stories, just like Snapchat and Instagram, or do group messaging, like WhatsApp.

    ReplyDelete