Monday, July 19, 2010

It's All In The Brush


Two things I have learned over the past couple of months of painting are, thin your paints, and buy decent brushes. When I first started out I bought a pile of cheap 0/00/000 brushes from the local craft shop. While they do the job, they last about as long as a snowball in Hades.

They will bend, spread and curl so quickly you could swear they are related to Twisties. While I only have a couple of decent brushes, I do have a list of what brushes are extremely good.


The brushes that I have are:

The Army Painter Insane Detail: While not a long laster, it is as the name suggests. The most insanely insane of insane detail brushes! Actually I really don't know how insane it is vs other brushes of this type. All I know is that it works quite well for my ultra small painting jobs. Though it does need to be constantly cleaned and repositioned regularly.

Citadel Fine Detail: This was originally given to me by my local Games Workshop dealer GamingDragon. I have to say that for a cheapo brush these are really nice. They maybe aren't up to the top line brushes, but the difference is also double or triple the price.

P3 Fine Studio Brush: This I haven't tried yet, though at close to $15 I hope it was worth the money.


Some of the best brushes on the market are.

Da Vinci Maestro Kolinsky
Winsor & Newton Series 7
Escoda Kolinsky Sable
Reaper Master Series

While most of these brushes are extremely expensive (Da Vinci, Winsor, etc). They will last for years if looked after, and in the long run cost you less.

1 comment:

  1. I've started using brush soap, when I can remember. It apparently helps brushes last a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete